Sunday, December 25, 2011

You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch

Usually, I am very positive and uplifting on this blog...today there may be some not so great parts to this post as well.  (Just an FYI!)


Let me set the scene for you:


It's a week before Christmas,  we are at fellowship having a time of community, wo r ship, and pryer then my dear roommate starts feeling ill.  She decides to head home after fellowship, instead of eating lunch with the team. After I grab a quick lunch with everyone, I head home to check on her and she looks awful (no offense Les)!!!  This is the beginning of what will now be referred to as the "death disease".  After a rough evening, we assume she has gotten food poison and will hopefully be better in the morning.  Boy were we wrong!


Monday morning rolls around, I'm feeling a little off, but no big deal.  We head to school to help some students and then it hits me..."Oh no!  I've caught the death disease too!!!!".  Yes, folks you heard me correctly the entire week before Christmas Lesley and I were sick with the worst stomach virus I have ever had!  Unfortunately, all of the fun activities and plans we had for the week of Christmas were ruined and instead we spent most of our time either teaching or in our beds watching Christmas movies trying to stay in the spirit of it all.


I wish I could say the bad news ends there, but it doesn't.  All week we were waiting on packages from home.  Both of our moms sent them with more than two weeks to spare (which is usually how long it takes a package to get here).  We got nothing.  We checked with the post office, who claims they dropped the packages off around Wednesday of last week at our school.  Our school has never seen the packages. Blah!!!!  It was just kind of disheartening because there were so many fun things they sent us to make it feel more like the holidays. The main disappointment was there were gifts for some of my team members and our waibans.  We still have hope that we will get them some time this week and there was just some mix up.


All of this to say the last few weeks have been rough with the kitchen fiasco (check my last post), death disease, no packages, and nothing going as planned for Christmas.  I know, I know, I live in China things never go as planned!  As much as I know this to be true, sometimes you just hope that things will work out the way you want them to.  Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.


Okay enough negativity, just needed to get it out of my system!


My main pryer for Christmas was that I would be feeling better and it was answered!  That was probably the best gift I could have received.  I was able to eat a real meal for the first time on Christmas Eve night!  What a bl e ss ing to be able to enjoy the wonderful food prepared by my family here in China.  I even got to try some of the desserts, which were amazing!


The week did consist of many positives and fun times, including making gingerbread houses, delivering gifts, a Christmas lunch with our principals, baking, Christmas Eve dinner and service, and slumber party/Christmas morning at the Korsons!  Homesickness definitely set in when I skyped with my family their Christmas morning and later Christmas night.  I expected though, so I gave myself some grace and shed a few tears.


This week has truly humbled me and made me realize how Christmas isn't just about one day, but can be an attitude of thankfulness, gratefulness, generosity, etc. that is extended throughout the whole year if we allow it be.  It's not about the gifts that are in my missing package, but about the one and only GIFT that really matters.  Did my ideal Christmas occur? No, it didn't, but such is life (especially in China).  I am counting my ble ss ings and trying to be thankful for everything else that has occurred while being here.


Next up...Pictures from Christmas Eve and Christmas Day!  


I'll leave you with a little tease...


MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM CHINA!
(matching shirts provided by Lesley's mom)


2 comments:

  1. Awww, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you and Lesley had been SO sick. What a bummer!! I'm glad though that you were better on Christmas day. Being sick is so rough and can really get you down in the heart. Last year our whole family got it, like you girls. We were throwing up for days, but Sophia held the record for throwing up constantly for 4 days straight. So we empathize with you. Pr yrs going your way for a healthy New Year!!! Love, Becca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it was a bummer, but all is okay now! Poor Sophia, luckily that part of the virus didn't last too long for us. Hope y'all had a wonderful Christmas! Will be prying for y'all as you prepare to head back to the states!

    ReplyDelete