Sunday, December 18, 2011

Randomness


I haven't updated in awhile, so I decided to do a picture blog of randomness over the past few weeks.  

THANKSGIVING LESSON

For Thanksgiving, I told my students the story of the first Thanksgiving, explained about holiday traditions in America,  and then we made turkey hands!  Each of my students got a piece of red, yellow, or orange paper and had to write four things they were thankful for.  Holidays are one of the best ways I get to share and explain to my students about my faith, so it was wonderful to show them my turkey hand and share with them what I was thankful for in my life.  
Three of the boys from one of my classes.  As you can see, one was a little picture shy! haha


Two of my sweet students from Grade 2.  Since they are older, I made them write full sentences about what they were thankful for. They did a great job!

UNIVERSITY FRIENDS

Our school hosts student teachers every year, so we had a great time getting to know three of the student teachers who we shared an office with.  It is crazy to think I was in the same position as they are a year ago!  Oh how time flies!  These girls were so sweet and we had lunch with them during their last week of teaching.  They had such a heart for their students and were very sad to leave our school!  

Doree, Fredia, Lesley, me, and Carrie

KEV'S BDAY

Another team member had a birthday!  Kevin's bday was at the end of November, so we celebrated with a sushi dinner (delicious!) and dessert at the boy's apartment including brownies, chocolate covered strawberries, and a Chinese birthday cake. 
Kev's present from all of us was the original TRON dvd set!


Chelsie, Aaron, Kev, and Dawn


Paul, Erin, me, and Les


Kev blowing out his candles! 

KITCHEN FIASCO

So every Thursday and Saturday, Les and I go to a hip hop class at our gym.  Honestly, it is a highlight of our week.  So about two weeks ago, we were headed back home from hip hop in fantastic moods until we walked into our apartment and we heard water dripping.  Our kitchen was flooded and water was cascading down the sides of our kitchen walls onto the floor!  Oh China!  We called our waiban, Diana, and she came over and thought it was from the apartment upstairs.  She had a chat with our neighbors, but it wasn't them.  Come to find out a pipe had burst in our ceiling and it had to be replaced.  This was a very long process!!!!!!!  We were without a kitchen for two weeks.  As horrid as it sounds, and believe me it wasn't paradise, it is one of those things that can't be controlled and just have to step back and realize how many other areas of our lives we have been blessed in.  Our apartment might not be the greatest, but it could always be worse!  I'm just happy I have heat in my room because you know this Southern girl can't deal with the cold weather.


The workers had to tear down our ceiling to fix the pipe.


Ceiling on the floor that is covered in an inch of water.


Another view of our flooded kitchen.


CHRISTMAS TIME IS HERE

Lesley and I decorated our tree this past week.  It is very small, but at least we have one!  It really hasn't hit us that it is Christmas yet.  We have been so busy with school events and the kitchen disaster that we haven't had time to think about it.  Luckily, our apartment is now decorated a little and it's beginning to feel more like that time of year.


Les posing with the tree!


The finished tree and of course our LSU tree!  We had to improvise with our tree skirt, which is a shower curtain! haha It works though.

CHRISTMAS CAROLING

This past Saturday, we invited our students to come caroling with us.  Students from my school came, as well as students from No. 3 High School where Paul and Erin teach.  All of our students thought it was a performance and were confused when we wanted them to sing with us.  It was wonderful seeing all of their smiling faces and how happy they were just to hang out with us outside of school.  We sang four songs and then just hung out with our students. Two of my students brought me Christmas presents, which was so sweet!  I really do love my students.  They are awesome!

Students trying to sing the Christmas songs.  We printed out lyrics for the songs so they could try to sing.


Paul leading the group!


Lesley, Chelsie, Grace, Hope, and Erin after singing!

The whole crew after caroling!

**Since I don't post on a regular basis if you want to know what is going on with me or in my city, check out Erin Korson's blog (www.erinandpaul.com)  She updates a few times a week!  

***Also, another team member had a birthday, Aaron Noble, but I forgot my camera that day, so I don't have any pics.  So shout out to Aaron!  We had a great time at this party as well, with a homemade meal, brownies, and banana pudding.  

No comments:

Post a Comment