Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Dumpling Day

Chinese students' school schedules are crazy busy.  They are at school all of the time from 7:30am until 9pm every day of the week except on Saturdays, where they get a half day off.  Unfortunately this means our time to hang out with our students outside of school is limited to Saturday afternoons.  Two weekends ago, one of my students invited me to his house to have lunch with his family on Saturday of course.  I was very excited because he is one of my best students and his English is very good.

This is my student Rain (his English name).  He is in Grade 1, which is the same as a sophomore in America.

All of my students know my favorite Chinese food is jiaozi or dumplings.  It is so yummy and one of the safest foods here!  I met Rain at school and we headed over to his house.  His mother was so sweet and had prepared dumplings for lunch.  
A picture of the delicious dumplings.


His mom also made a soup that you are supposed to drink when you eat dumplings.  Oh and yes I said drink, not with a spoon, you just slurp it up.  It was also very good!

I told Rain before that I would love to learn how to make dumplings.  After lunch, his mom taught me how to make them.  She was a great teacher and very patient with me.  It took over 2 hours from the beginning of the process to the end.  I was basically gone all afternoon and I think Lesley got worried about me and called to make sure I was okay or to give me a way out.  Honestly, it was one of the most relaxing days I've had in China.  Sometimes it can be exhausting talking with students because of the language barrier, but there was no pressure on trying to speak with him or his family.  It was all very chill.   It was also nice to be in a comfy home with a family.  Even though his mother didn't speak English, I could still feel her motherly warmth, affection, and hospitality.  It really did feel just like being in a good ole' Southern home. Who would of thought!

This is Rain's mother teaching me how to make the stuffing for the dumplings.


Rolling out the dough.  Oh and check out my very Chinese sweater!  Got it from the night market awhile back.


Poor Rain became my photographer.

Yay!  A completed dumpling!


This was about 1/4 of the number of dumplings we made.  


His mother's dumpling is on the left, mine is on the right.  She said I was doing great for it being my first time to ever try to make dumplings.  Although, she could have just been being nice! haha  I didn't think it looked too shabby.


All of the dumplings!  I told you we made alot.  His mother was so sweet and truly a beautiful lady.  It was a wonderful afternoon!  Rain even translated and printed out  a copy of the recipe for me, so I could try to make it at home.  Still haven't attempted it by myself, but maybe one day I will feel ambitious and give it a go!

RANDOM SIDE NOTE:  Just wanted to give a shout out to my one and only team the LSU Tigers!  SEC CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!  Great game, although the first half had me a little worried, I knew we would pull it together in the end.  Can't wait to be National Champions!  GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!




1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a great time at your student's home. I'm thankful you got this neat chance to visit Rain's home and that it was a relaxing afternoon for you. Miss seeing you, Girl!!! ~Becca

    ReplyDelete